To create a safe, supportive, and open-minded environment for the exchange of thoughts and ideas among current and former Muslims
To foster a pluralistic society that respects the rights of all individuals to live according to their conscience
To abolish blasphemy and apostasy laws across the globe
Looking for a community?
Our members are spread across the United States.
Wish to support us?
Help our communities grow.
Who we are
- We are a group of Ex-Muslims and Muslims of varying degrees of religiosity.
- We come together from diverse backgrounds, and cover a broad spectrum of views and positions from atheist to agnostic to theist, ex-Muslim to cultural Muslim to believing Muslim, and more.
- Amidst this diversity, we share common cultural traditions and come from Muslim backgrounds. We are united by a common goal of fostering a questioning atmosphere. We criticize ideas without criticizing the people that hold them – for no idea should be so sacred to be beyond human curiosity and discussion. We believe we can question religious beliefs without adopting discriminatory attitudes towards our communities. We encourage skeptical thinking but deplore all forms of bigotry including racism, sexism, classism, anti-Semitism, and ageism.
- We believe in a strict separation of church/mosque and state and strongly feel that no state should impose religious or irreligious beliefs. All citizens are entitled to exercise their free speech and live without fear of persecution or censorship. Such a society would serve both the religious and irreligious.
What we want
- OUR SPACE: We want to create an open-minded and tolerant space for the exchange of thoughts and skeptical attitudes towards ideas once held taboo.
- OUR SUPPORT: We want to provide support to those who are afraid to express their true beliefs because of fear of discrimination or persecution. We seek to support each other as we deal with our own questions, as well as those from our families and society about who we are and who we want to be.
- OUR INDIVIDUAL IDENTITY: We want to empower questioning individuals to live according to the dictates of their conscience. We recognize that individuals and identities are multi-layered and complex. We question and reject all forms of binary thinking and understand that human experiences are complex and reflect a diversity of backgrounds, histories, and experiences.
- OUR GROUP IDENTITY: We want to move away from simple pro- vs anti-Islamic attitudes towards our own collective identity that is a unique combination of our diverse backgrounds and thoughts.
Where we are going
- We hope to expand our community to other regions where there are questioning Muslims and ex-Muslims.
- We hope to have a wider impact on the Muslim community/countries that includes:
- Recognizing a broader spectrum of beliefs and views that might make a Muslim
- Developing a communal habit of questioning beliefs and values
- Seeing the harm of blasphemy and apostasy laws and outlawing them
- Advocating the benefits of secular and scientific thinking
- Supporting those irreligious individuals in Muslim-majority countries and amplify their voices